Friday, November 25, 2005

My Kaffe Fassett day

Once again I caught the bus to London yesterday, for the morning tea at Liberty where Kaffe Fassett spoke about his crafts – and it was wonderful. While he was meant to be promoting his latest book, “Kaffe Fassett’s V and A Quilts”, he actually explained much of his creative process, showed us some quilts and tantalized us with rolls of his exuberant fabrics.

Bought the book, got it signed, and had my photo taken with the great man himself!

The most rewarding part of the morning came a little later, however. Having decided I needed to purchase a couple of small pieces of Kaffe Fassett fabric from Liberty to mark the occasion, I was dallying and dallying, picking up bolts of fabric, and putting them down. All the while, Kaffe was signing his books at a nearby table, and chatting with the other ladies, but eventually the line came to an end and I heard a voice behind me.

“I’ve been watching you trying to choose”, he said. “Can I help?”

Am I silly, or what?! Of course he could help … any day!

I left Liberty with a few more pieces than I’d planned – six in fact – but as they’d been personally chosen by Kaffe Fassett, I had to have them …didn't I?

I spent the afternoon exploring the Victoria and Albert - fantastic! Even borrowed one of their free drawing kits, but I was so busy seeing the exhibits I didn't have time to stop and sketch. Pity...

By the way, Kaffe Fassett is decorating the V and A Christmas Tree this year, to be unveiled on 7th December, and his theme is Fans. Look for new Kaffe Fassett Rowan fabrics depicting fans soon, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home