Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Wedding Quilt

Although I can't show you the actual quilt-in-progress, I can show you the inspiration for this very special quilt. Lachy and Merry visited the Alhambra in Spain last year and were blown away by the tile patterns on the walls. One pattern in particular impressed and intrigued them...

So when I invited them to give me ideas for a quilt their minds turned to this intricate and beautiful pattern - believed to have inspired artist and mathematician Escher. Dozens and dozens of internet pages have been devoted to these tessellations, and I spent many hours trying to come to grips with the geometry involved - tricky for my mathematically-challenged middle-aged brain.

The drafting of the actual quilt pattern (TOP SECRET!) has been delightfully satisfying, and I'm really enjoying the creative process as I prepare the fabric to take along on our trip. Lachy and Merry's inspiration has taken me out of my comfort zone and extended my quilting experience, stretching my meagre abilities more than I would have chosen, and I'm so glad they did.

I hope one day many of you will see the resulting quilt!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi mom,
Great blogging! I'll make sure that I check the page whenever I can..
Love Sare xxx

Monday, 05 September, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pattern and a very readable blog!

Jenny in Cairo

Monday, 05 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home